Friday, May 25, 2018

Warning Signs

So, one of the things that could have been a huge check mark in the "Why is everything going wrong on this trip" column was a phenomena I was ignorant of.  Apparently, schools of jellyfish migrate in to shore once a month.  In response, the life guard stations all put out these warning signs reminding everyone that jellyfish stings are painful and you are swimming at your own risk.  I thought it was hilarious.  Mostly I was coming to the beach after yoga to do my Bible studies.  The potential presence of jellyfish in the water didn't really affect me one way or the other. 

Clearly, there were people who felt the warnings signs were alarmist or who didn't value the potential pain worth the sacrifice of time in the water.  In fact, I saw a great dane in a life vest out with his/her master.  She kept trying to get the dog further in the water but the dog was having none of it.  I can't help but feel the dog had the greater wisdom. 

I went out once to dip my toes and saw these huge swaths of dark patches in the water that seemed to disappear when I approached.  I thought they were patches of seaweed but a passing stranger must have thought I was afraid because she assured me that the patches of darkness were schools of sardines.  That explained the fisherman on shore.  I love getting to experience wildlife outside of my normal experience.  I've never eaten a sardine, much less swam with one.

The jellyfish sign wasn't the only warning sign I saw either.  Near the beach I usually visited was a War Memorium that was interesting to look at until you got to the closed gate.  Clearly, this had been a something and now was not.  I had no idea what it had been built for or what purpose it served.    It looked kind of like a stadium but the "stage" area was all water.  I wondered if they did animal shows or if it had fallen apart so much that the stage was gone.  Behind ornate gates were many warning signs of various sizes.  Like most signs, it was clear they had been ignored by someone who felt the best thing to do with a warning was to write their mark on it.  Honestly, it was beautiful.  The mystery, the abandoned beauty, all of it.  I haven't been able to get it out of my head since.



It did get me thinking about warning signs though.  Why they are put up?  What imminent danger do they really signify?  


As I approached the structure it was clear that parts of it had been renovated.  It was also clear that the inside was crumbling and dangerous.  The many warning signs, not surprisingly, warned as much.  It got me thinking about the difference in the two places I had encountered that day where warnings had been set up.  One was an "at your own risk" the other made it clear it was dangerous and criminal to violate the warning.  

I think God does this for us.  There are definitely things in our life that are "permissible" but not always recommended.  You may be able to do them without getting yourself into trouble but you are definitely skirting the edge of something you don't really need to be doing.  Other things are closed doors with big warning signs.  Sure, you could climb over the fences, past the locks and signs, and feel the thrill of defying the warnings because you'll probably be fine.  

Probably...



There is beauty in knowing where to stop.  In seeing the warning for what it is.  A blessing given to us by a gracious God.  There's a difference between stepping out of your comfort zone and giving up your need for control in favor of a God who is actually in control and defying warning signs.  It can feel oddly similar.  That thrill of fear when letting go and the thrill of fear when defying authority.  So how do you tell the difference? 

The warning signs



Just like in life, our spiritual warning signs are designed to give us pause.  To slow our progress forward and make us take stock of the situation.  For me it feels like a gentle push.  I'm a rule follower, so seeing that danger in red lettering feels like a magnetic repulsion.  Giving up control feels like an infinitely patient God gently pulling my hands to remind me to let go.  What does it feel like to you?  Have you ever thought about the difference?  The difference in how it feels in your spirit?  Let's learn to recognize the subtle push of a warning sign verses the subtle pull of being asked to give up control.

Linkups:
   

7 comments:

  1. Love the analogy!! It's true that although some things might be permissible, they may not always be beneficial. God's laws are set in place for a purpose- to keep His children safe from unknown dangers. Thanks for the reminder. What a great word picture!

    ReplyDelete
  2. JD, welcome to Faith on Fire! I am thankful for His warning signs. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a huge rule follower and usually heed all warning signs. However, God's warnings I sometimes miss. I keep asking him to send them in email format so I clearly understand. But to be honest it is pretty clear.

    Thank you for sharing your post on Grace & Truth Christina Link-Up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually ask for big neon signs myself, ha!

      Delete
  4. I totally understand the rule-follower mentality. It's so much more civilized that way ;). I've never thought about the differences before, though. Thank you for pointing those out.

    ReplyDelete