Friday, April 6, 2018

How do I respond to tragedy

If you spend any time on social media you are going to come up against some strong opinions, especially around times of tragedy.  In a fallen world, and with the increased access to news and opinions, we will be confronted constantly by tragedy. I've been thinking about that a lot over the last month.  We've had some national tragedies that have once again polarized public opinion.  I've talked about social media fighting before on my blog but the recent slew of tragedies have revealed a disturbing new trend that has had me doing some serious soul searching.  

From my little corner of the internet, the overwhelming sentiment I saw was (expletives deleted) to "take our thoughts and prayers and @#^$%# it".  Our nation is mad.  They're mad at us.  


Or at least that's how it looks.  The world is mad because things are getting worse, not better.  The world is mad because they believe the world should be getting better.  The world should be more enlightened, understanding and intelligent.  Sadly, the world is not following the Utopian path that Star Trek set out for us.  The more knowledge we gain, the less understanding we extend.  In the battle cry for tolerance, the world has become more intolerant than ever.  

But that's not what I wanted to talk about today.  The best thing about this adventure that God has me on right now is that it is full of a dialog of questions.  He's asking me questions and I'm asking Him questions.  Of the many questions He's asked me to explore about myself and the world, some of them have been hard.  As followers of Christ, we know that the world will continue to degrade until Christ returns to establish His eternal kingdom. For years I have viewed the worlds tragedies in light of the grim prophecies of scripture and the firm belief that a life without God is lived in bondage to sin. 
I somehow took that as permission to take a step back from the world, and it's tragedies, and offer a sympathetic grimace and nothing else. After all, we're called to be in the world and not of it.  I focused on the "not of it" part.  This world is not our home.  

But when God asks you a question...there is weight behind it. And the question God has been asking me is this.  How do I respond to tragedy?  I've been wrestling with this question because I suspect that I have neglected the first part of "in this world but not of it" ...we are "in the world".  This is still where we live for now even if it's not our home.  I've heard that phrase used but it had been a while since I had actually read the scripture it was paraphrased from.
  

John 17:14-16 New International Version (NIV)

14 I have given them your word and the world has hated them, for they are not of the world any more than I am of the world. 15 My prayer is not that you take them out of the world but that you protect them from the evil one. 16 They are not of the world, even as I am not of it.

This is why study of God's word is important.  No matter how many times you've read the Bible in a year or how long you've been going to church, you should know what the Word of God says for yourself.  Not only are there rich treasures to be discovered but there are profound truths that can't help but affect how we live.  


Matthew 22:36-4 New International Version (NIV)
36 “Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?”
37 Jesus replied: ‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. 38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 And the second is like it: Love your neighbor as yourself.’ 40 All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”

So what does it all mean?  The world just wants something to be done.  So what can I do?   What should I do?  It all depends on what you think love is.


This is a heavy question and it is very easy to tell ourselves that nothing can be done, so why bother.  Don't do that.  Take a breath and think about this with me.  God only asks us to do nothing under one circumstance.  When we are being persecuted for His sake.  This has taken some serious time in prayer, some serious time in the Word and some very terrifying steps outside of my comfort zone.  We can and should do nothing when being persecuted because how we have lived out God's Word will speak for us. 1 Peter 2: 11-25 has a whole lot to say and I strongly urge you to look it up and read it for yourself but I'm going to pull out one verse.


1 Peter 2: 12
 Live such good lives among the pagans that, though they accuse you of doing wrong, they may see your good deeds and glorify God on the day he visits us.

Did you catch that? Good lives...good deeds.  We aren't saved by works, it says so in Eph 2:9, but we are still called to bear fruit.  To be a witness.  To make disciples.  Our lives are supposed to be living testimony.

When I was young, and going to Christian camps, we were often asked; if Christians were ever being brought before the courts for being Christian's, would there be enough evidence to convict you?  That question hasn't rung in my soul for many years but it is now.  

Our place in this world is one of action.  Love, kindness and humility; be, go, do, make...our words are action words.  


James 1:22 NIV

22 Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says.


I hope you will consider thinking through these questions with me.  What should you be "do"ing?  What does love look like?  What speaks louder, sharing your opinions on social media or putting love into action?  How does your life look to the outside world?  Does it look any different than the world?  Have you cloistered yourself away from the world?  Think it through, ask God and then wait to see what He says.  I'm not asking these questions to convict or accuse.  I'm asking them of you and of me as a litmus test.  As an opening for God to enter in and start a dialog.  To give us all a chance to do some spring cleaning in our hearts, minds and souls.  
 

Linkups this week:

15 comments:

  1. So so true! I totally agree and love the scriptures you provide here. My husband and I were just praying about action earlier and want to contribute to the community or somewhere more than we are now. We want to let God lead but I want to also not bypass the small moments or single soul right in front of me. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be praying with you! I'd love to hear where the Lord leads.

      Delete
  2. Great reflections and a thought-provoking post. I really enjoyed reading! Thanks for sharing what God has been teaching you. Taking time to seek him and consider how we can live for him in this broken world is so important. Your neighbor at God-Sized Dreams.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A thought provoking post. Earlier this morning I read Psalm 33:4-5. My devotional pointed out, "Here, Yahweh is concerned with ensuring that the wrongs of this world are made right and that social justice is achieved." May we, His people, be moved to action that is prompted by a heart filled with His love. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm reading in Jeremiah right now, and he lived his entire ministry in chaos with Babylonian siege works up against the city walls and his name on the hate list of the religious/political elite in Jerusalem. There is so much wisdom in the Bible for dealing with dark times. Thanks for drawing lines back to truth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right. There are so many Biblical answers for dealing with tragedy and turmoil. Turmoil is isolating and it's hard to remember we're not alone and we're not the first.

      Delete
  5. JD, you are right about the mounting anger in the world. Sadly, I see it among my students every day. In my corner of the world, I try to demonstrate the kindness of Christ as consistently as possible. And I'm not talking about just wearing a WWJD bracelet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be praying for you! Being a teacher is so hard and is only getting harder.

      Delete
  6. A lot of wisdom in your words. Thank you for asking such a hard question. Visiting you from the Dancing with Jesus Link up. laurensparks.net

    ReplyDelete
  7. Right on! This was SO good, JD!!! Love is a verb- an action. Go, do, make, be, love... The question asked of you during camp was one that I had heard for the first time a few years ago. It had a mighty impact on me as well. Good lives- good deeds...how am I "being" the light to a watching (often criticizing) world? Something to ponder... Sharing this today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rachel. You did my heart good today!

      Delete
  8. Yes! Faith without action doesn't count for much--but the doing should be done for love, not to earn things.

    ReplyDelete