Friday, October 19, 2018

Rest you Say?


This weeks blog is going to be...different.  If this is your first time here then you won't notice so ... sorry for when things go back to normal, I guess.  If you read last weeks blog, What is Rest, then you'll know that I am on a break, a sabbatical if you will.
 

I know, you're confused now.  How is there a blog?  Why has there been a post reminding me that this little slice of blogdom has been launched?  All good questions.  When I set off on this adventure last week I asked myself some questions and I had some questions asked of me.  Walking away from technology and noise can be interpreted as throwing the baby out with the bath water. So I wanted to do two things on the blog this week. 
  1. I wanted to share the plan
  2. I wanted to share what I did 

First, the plan

I do not plan on becoming a hermit.  I tend towards being a recluse as it is.  No, my goal was to be open for fellowship.  In my opinion, placing rules on a time of companionship is very counter productive and very hipster christian.  So, I didn't require others to go noise free to be around me or even mention to my friends and family that I was going on a technology and noise fast.  This isn't supposed to be about what I can do.  So I'm trying to stay very un-rigid.  I also decided to give myself one day of computer time and see how I did with that.  This was partly because I meet with a writing group one day a week and partially because I wanted to see if I could treat my time with technology in a healthy way.  It would force me to prioritize what I was going to do on my computer day.  So that was the plan.  In my time alone; no noise, no computer, no TV, no search engines.  I wanted to give myself a little boredom, a lot of quiet and the practice time I need to be still.  If the blog looks a little boring today and lacks the fanfare of social media posts to announce it....well, that's because I had to set some priorities.  I chose companionship over tasks and I practiced letting go of what I thought should be done.

Second, what I did

I wanted to spend a lot of time in God's word.  That's a given.  I started out working on my current studies but one of the questions really drew my attention to the question, what is rest?  What does God mean by rest?  Normally, we would assume it means you don't work but scripture also talks about allowing yourself to take care of what's needful during sabbath (ie rescue your donkey).  So what is rest?  That question led me on an old fashioned word search thanks to the back of my Bible and not any fancy website or search engine.  I didn't even ask *insert random gender non-specific robot voiced assistant*.  So, I thought I would share where that led me and what I learned.
The verses that started it all were Psalm 37: 7-11, 34.
        Be still before the Lord and wait patiently for Him; fret not yourself over the one who prospers in his way, over the man who carries out evil devices!  Refrain from anger, and forsake wrath!  Fret not yourself; it tends only to evil.  For the evil doers shall be cut off, but those who wait for the Lord shall inherit the Land.  In just a little while, the wicked will be no more; though you look carefully at his place, he will not be there.  But the meek shall inherit the land and delight themselves in abundant peace.  Wait for the Lord and keep his way, and he will exalt you to inherit the land; you will look on when he wicked are cut off.
Be still, wait patiently, don't fret or be angry, hope in the Lord, keep His ways.  From here on, I'm going to give you the scripture reference and what I learned.  Like I said, I'm prioritizing my time.  Please look up the verses, or do your own word study on rest.  I think you'll be surprised.

  • Ex 3:12-18  Rest is holy, consecrated, celebrated, a covenant, abstaining from work, a sign
  • Ex 33:14  Rest is given my God, something God gives
  • Josh 14:15  Rest is the cessation of conflict
  • Josh 21:44  Rest is peace
  • Ps 33  Rest is hope & faith in our great God, rejoicing
  • Ps 62:1-2, 5  Rest is only found in God, or security and our hope
  • Ps 90:17  Rest is settled upon us, seeped in, draped over, soaked in
  • Ps 91  Rest is a place of refuge
  • Is 30:15  Rest is quietness and trust, repentance and a guiltless mind
  • Is 32:17-18  Rest is confidence, security, peace and being undisturbed
  • Jer 6:16  Rest is asked for and comes from walking in God's way  
        This one I am going to write out because I want to memorize it myself.
    This is what the Lord says:  Stand at the crossroads and look;  ask for the ancient paths, ask where the good way is, and walk in it, and you will     find rest for your souls.  But you said "We will not walk in it."
  • Mt 11:28  Rest is a release from burden
  • 2 Cor 12:9-10  Rest is weakness, laid down in humility, for the sake of glorifying God's strength
  • Heb 4:9  Rest is belief; utter, absolute belief
  • Heb 4:10  Rest is ceasing from work or industry
  • Rev 14:13  Rest is ceasing from your labors
This is a much richer, broader, and deeper definition of rest.  This is something I can practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment