Friday, June 1, 2018

Dealing with Consequences

A few weeks back I talked about waiting for the other shoe to drop and this week I found myself on that spectrum of thought again.  When I was younger, I had a pastor that I considered my first "real" pastor.  He was during my teenage years so mostly it's because I remember him.  The only part of his sermons over the years that has remained with me was a story he would tell on occasion.  Pastor Randy was allergic to chocolate.  Pastor Randy loved chocolate.  Every once in a while, especially around Easter, when all the little bit sized chocolates where in abundance, he would sneak a little chocolate egg.  He told himself it wasn't a lot and probably wouldn't be a big deal.  Sure enough, by the end of the day he would have a big old scaly rash around his mouth.  It was an allergic reaction that made it clear to everyone that he had done something he shouldn't.

I was thinking about that this week as I was suffering day two of a migraine.  I knew exactly why I had a migraine.  My wonderful mother made a salmon in  puffed pastry for Sunday lunch.  My husband painstakingly took his salmon out of the puffed pastry pocket, but not me.  I thought, it's not a lot.  I'm sure it will be fine.  It is not fine.  I'm learning the depth of  nuh-uh my body has in reaction to grains and gluten.  I should have been even more strict with what I'm consuming this week because of travel, which is especially hard on my body, but my temporary pleasure has led to days worth of pain.  It has me thinking, what do I do with totally legit consequences?

We know that suffering for Christ's sake has a whole lot of encouragement that goes along with it, but what does God's Word have to say about dealing with consequences we brought on ourselves?

Galatians 6:7-8 English Standard Version (ESV)

Do not be deceived: God is not mocked, for whatever one sows, that will he also reap. For the one who sows to his own flesh will from the flesh reap corruption, but the one who sows to the Spirit will from the Spirit reap eternal life.

Jeremiah 17:9-10 English Standard Version (ESV)

The heart is deceitful above all things,
    and desperately sick;
    who can understand it?
10 “I the Lord search the heart
    and test the mind,[a]
to give every man according to his ways,
    according to the fruit of his deeds.”

Hebrews 12:11 English Standard Version (ESV)
11 For the moment all discipline seems painful rather than pleasant, but later it yields the peaceful fruit of righteousness to those who have been trained by it.

but we also have precedence for coming back to God and admitting our fault and asking for His help.  We're all familiar with the story of the prodigal son (Luke 15).  When he came to his senses he determined to apologize in hopes of at least being a servant in his father's household.  Sampson has a similar story of getting himself in big trouble by disobeying and being remembered by God again (Judges 16).


No matter what mess we've gotten ourselves into, we don't have to wallow with the pigs.  God may not take away the consequences any sooner (or at all) but there's a big heart difference between being right with God and not being right.

So I went to God and thanked Him for the consequences.  I thanked Him for the reminder that He's brought me some miraculous changes over the last year, one of them being the suffering of less migraines and headaches (praise the Lord).  Then I asked Him to heal it quickly if it was His will and to help me through it either way.  I haven't been healed but I sure got a lot done today despite the pain and I walked it with joy.  I haven't gotten as much done on some of the days I was feeling fine!

Are you dealing with the consequences of your own willful/sinful/wrong-for-you actions?  Do you use those consequences to flagellate yourself?  Do you bemoan the consequences as unfair?  Do you stoically trudge on?  Or do you return, hat in hand, to your loving Father to confess, hoping that you can start building trust again slowly and instead are surprised by the depth of compassion you find there?  I have to admit that I've been the stoically trudge kind of girl.  I have been missing out on the treasures buried just beneath the surface of dealing properly with my wrong doing.  How about you?

Linkups:

   

10 comments:

  1. God is so patient in how He deals with us in our mess-ups. Thanks for the reminder to go straight to Him rather than beating ourselves up. Sometimes those negative consequences make us more wary of the next time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do make us wary but I think they also are meant to teach us compassion. I love that God never seems to be accomplishing just one thing.

      Delete
  2. HI JD! I also suffer from migraines so I know the pain and frustration they can bring. Praying for God to heal you and comfort you. Thank you for sharing about consequences. It's a hard thing to think about sometimes, but God loves us enough to have us face the consequence of our actions and learn from them. I enjoyed these verses. They have so much truth to teach us. Many blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. I totally agree that consequences show how much God loves us.

      Delete
  3. "God may not take away the consequences any sooner (or at all) but there's a big heart difference between being right with God and not being right." Oh my, yes, this is so true. And I, too, have accomplished more when I have put Him first rather than trying to trudge on in my own way. Blessing to you! I'm your neighbor at #InspireMeMonday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you came by today Gayl! I've been praying for you!

      Delete
  4. I love the way you turned this around to praising God for consequences/reminders to get us back on track! Thanks for candidly sharing your faith walk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate that Alice! It's something I'm going to have to keep practicing.

      Delete
  5. I can relate! If I spend too much time in the sun, or allow myself to get too stressed out, I get cold sores. They remind me that I need to take care of myself. I love how you were able to walk in joy, even though you experienced pain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's one of the many benefits of chronic pain issues ;)

      Delete