Monday, January 8, 2024

Mysteries afoot


Okay, the year has started out nice with gentle progress towards my daily goals and actually getting some things done.  I mentioned that I had started thinking about writing again and I've been given the opportunity to start working on one of my favorites.  I am going to write another mystery dinner party.  I honestly love writing these.  I have written several large group MDP's because there weren't a whole lot of large group ones on the market at first and then there weren't a lot of good ones.  I have written one for the state patrol youth academy which had to adapt to a very large group on a yearly basis.  I have written several for friends and a couple for local games stores.  I have to admit I tend to try and innovate and think outside the mystery dinner party box.  I want it to be unique and interesting.  I want it to be better than what you can buy in a box.  Two things have come from this desire.  I usually make an overly complicated mystery for a dinner party and I always wish I had a team.

I know that probably sounds weird but, I love brainstorming.  Thinking of all the possibilities and discovering the potential connections just makes the mystery write itself for me.  Getting excited with someone else is a big part of that.  Bouncing ideas off of them, having the instant check when you have gone off the rails, it's magic.  Sadly, people are busy.  Plus, I haven't found the person or people who get as much life out of brainstorming sessions as I do.  I also suspect it's the DM (dungeon master in roleplaying games) problem.  Everyone wants to play, they don't want to make the game. Being a part of the creation means you can't participate. 

So I'll take the next best thing.  I'll share little tidbits with you.  That way we can brainstorm together if you're so inclined.

Are you game?

Let's begin....  

I'm pondering three possible themes.  I've already started fleshing out one of them.  We'll see if you can guess which one.  Of the three, which one is your favorite?  Which do you think would make for the funnest Mystery Dinner Party?  But also, just the act of writing up the summary for the ideas has made me want to write them all....so maybe just help me figure out which one to write first.

  1. Tournament Trouble - Dangerous games are being played at the Mage Poke Blood Yu Lore Event.  Someone has been picking off competitors and you may be next.  What's worse, you think they might be cheating so they can win the tournaments prize;  A Rare Shiny Mega Ultra Glamour  Evolved Pecunia Concidat
  2. Murder by Murder - Welcome, writers, to our annual Murder Mystery Writers Convention.  Our guest list has been meticulously currated with the best in the genre, which is why you're here.  Rumors of our previous key note speakers untimely demise are sadly true but we have rallied from the blow and have secured a last minute special guest speaker we are sure you will all be shocked to hear.
  3. Upstairs Downstairs - Who do you think can solve a mystery faster?  The elite rich, or the servants whose presence they forget?  This dueling party mystery will require alliances, observation and loyalty.  Choose wisely.
  4. Truth is Stranger than Fiction - True Crime Podcasters have gathered by invitation to share the story they are currently investigating.  Strangely, as each podcaster tells their story, it all starts sounding a bit too familiar.

5 comments:

  1. They all sound so good! Ok #4 first made me think of "The Magnus Archives" which I love, and then I realized you said "True Crime" which I kind of care nothing about. So that one could be fun, but I am not a good brainstorming partner for that on. #1 sounds good too, though I guess you'd have to make up a lot of game lore for it (that could be the fun part though?). And #2 sounds fun, though in the back of my mind, that one sounds "more similar to ones I think you did in the past" maybe? #3 is fascinating to try to get two groups to play against each other, so that one sounds like the most difficult one to me! So I guess my money would be on Number 1 or 2.
    So I guess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right about #2. I was imagining a Murder by Death kind of scenario. I wasn't going to include a murder at all but just have it be a "who's the best mystery writer" kind of scenario but then I caved. #1 is a play on collectable card games like Magic, Pokemon, Flesh and Blood, Lorcana but I was thinking about making the actual tournament game be straight up poker and giving some whooey about if you have more than one of this card it "powers it up" so it's more powerful than a single card. They would have to win their table to move to another table and each table would have info that no other table has for the mystery, much less new people to interact with and ask questions of. You see how I over complicate things...but I think it sounds hilarious but possibly poking too much fun at CCG's because the winning card is basically rare shiny mega ultra glamour evolved Money Sink (in latin).

      Delete
  2. Ooh my favorite is #3 upstairs downstairs, but #2 & #4 also sound fun, so does #1…well my fave is probably #3. 😀

    ReplyDelete
  3. Howdy JD Funny thing I am working on some of the same types of things. I am trying to use Trello Project Management tool to move me forward and get things done. My 3 mystery's I am working on a full day events where you start in the morning with text message or other prompt and work toward a cooperative solution party at the end of the day. I also have one mystery that is building over 7 days with things to solve each day. Sent VIA SMS, or Posted on a schedule. The 7 day mystery is a multiple team activity but could be done solo. I am trying to include Geo Cashing, LARP, Escape room, and puzzle solving in the Mysteries. I still have the Harry Potter files we did way back as inspiration.
    You Rock!!! DGB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did write a mystery party like that using google hangout that texted people on a schedule but I struggled with people getting messages out of order based on their phone carrier. I do still love the idea and can't wait to hear if it works better for you than it did for me! JC Hutchins, an author I like, wrote a multimedia discovery mystery book that captures the kinds of things I aspire to.

      Delete