Friday, July 24, 2015

Costume progress - Silver Sable Noir

So tonight I was working on Silver Sable Noir and trying to gather the supplies I had on hand for Gracie Law's headdress.  I had been getting pieces together that I thought might work and needed to kind of put them together and see if they would work.  I bought a silver clubbing dress and a silver corset along with some silver fabric I planned on making a skirt out of along with the silver wig and pearls I planned on making a necklace with to imitate the white cross shape that is part of silver sables distinct costuming.  I don't know if it's the fact that the necklace and skirt drape were just slap dashed on or if they just slightly not the same shiny silver materials are not working together but I'm feeling good and awful about this look right now.  I'll be getting a seamstress's opinion and I think I'm going to adjust the necklace idea.  

 I'm just glad the "clubbing" dress actually fits well.  It will help me feel more modest if I give the dress a slit and it definitely helps the low bust line of the corset.  I think I'm going to add a white strip just above the corset bust line to help break up the difference in color and to add the cross portion of white "T" I referred to before.  I know what you might say, what's Noir about it.....I think a proper skirt will help and a few things to tie it all together better.

I also took the next step for the print stamping I did for Gracie Law's wedding dress.  I'll need to wait to cold wash it in a couple days then I can start working on the sleeves and the collar in earnest.
I also revisited the plan for the head dress and am feeling much better about where to go next.  My hubby is 3D printing the feathers I need for the back of the headdress and then I'll paint them and add the embellishments.  I picked up a peacock blue sparkly headband to use as the base of the head dress and pulled out the beads I had that would work for  the front widows peak and the pearl embellishments.  I still need to grab some air dry clay to make the peacock head.
 I almost forgot.  I made a caplet for the Hubby's Dr. Strange Noir.  We already had a perfect tux with tails.  He also decided he was going to make himself a top hat since they are very expensive.  He pepakura'd the hat and worked on fiber glassing it for strength tonight.  He'll paint and flock it once that's done to give it a suede/felt/wool look and voila!  A lovely top hat for $20.  He's also going to make himself a collar because lets face it, you can't have a Dr. Strange without at least a moderately pointy collar.


All in all I feel like I'm at about 50% on costumes.  I have base pieces and a plan for almost everything.  Don't get me wrong, I have a long list of things to finish, but we're getting there.

No comments:

Post a Comment